Brewster Law Firm LLC

Your Recovery Is Our Top Priority

Breaking down the Defense Base Act

On Behalf of | May 20, 2020 | Defense Base Act |

The opportunity to work and live in another country may seem very exciting. Not only do you get to travel, but you can experience all that another culture has to offer. What may not come to mind, however, is what happens if you sustain an injury on the job while you are in another country. In the U.S., workers’ compensation will help you if you suffer injuries on the job, but how does that work if you are a U.S. employee working overseas?

We understand how the Defense Base Act applies in these situations and have helped many of our clients with their injury claims.

What is the DBA?

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the Defense Base Act provides workers’ compensation benefits to government employees that sustain injuries on the job while overseas. Any employees participating in the following situations may receive coverage under the DBA.

  • Employees working on U.S. military bases overseas on behalf of private employers
  • Employees working overseas to provide social services in the interest of the Armed Forces
  • Employees working with a U.S. government agency on public work contracts
  • Employees working on contracts under the Foreign Assistance Act

What benefits are available under the DBA?

Under the DBA, the abovementioned employees may receive medical, disability and death benefits while working overseas. You may receive these benefits even if you sustain injuries outside of your normal working hours. Unlike typical workers’ compensation plans, you may choose your own physician according to the DBA. It is important to let your employer know that you have sustained injuries as soon as possible. More information about this topic is available on our webpage.