Brewster Law Firm LLC

Your Recovery Is Our Top Priority

Defense Base Act FAQs

The Defense Base Act is a workers’ compensation system under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA).

The DBA covers civilian contractors hired to work on military installations around the world. Because it is a federal law, cases require a lawyer who can navigate the federal court system. Brewster Law Firm LLC in Metairie, Louisiana, handles such cases.

Learn more about the DBA by reading the questions and answers below.

Q: What is the Defense Base Act?

A: The DBA is a type of workers’ compensation law that covers civilian contractors working on military installations around the world.

Q: Why does the DBA exist?

A: Congress created the DBA to protect civilian contractors working for the government around the world.

Q: Whom does it cover?

A: The Defense Base Act applies to any civilian contractor hired for military-related construction, public works projects or support services, including U.S. citizens, residents, foreign nationals and workers from other countries.

Q: What does the DBA cover?

A: Compensation is provided for any injury, condition, disability or death that occurred while at work. It also covers injuries suffered in transit to or from work if travel is paid for by the U.S. government or the employer. An injured employee may be entitled to compensation to replace lost wages and any medical treatment needed to recover from an injury.

Q: Why do I need an attorney?

A: Your employer will have an insurance company and an attorney managing the claims process. You should have representation ensuring that your recovery is fair. Our lawyers focus on these types of claims, so we know how to handle them.

Q: What should I look for in a DBA attorney?

A: You want an attorney who focuses on DBA claims, who has a good reputation among peers and who has a track record of success.

Brewster Law Firm LLC Is Here For You

If you think you may have a claim under the Defense Base Act, Brewster Law Firm LLC will provide you with a free consultation. Call 504-717-4971 or send a request online.